Monday, March 26, 2007

The Forgotten Asset

Hello, fellow netpreneurs.

Today I’m going to talk about a very important subject that most people taken for granted .That subject is FRIENDSHIP. In my earlier post, I wrote that it is important to mind your attitude online and offline. This links to a specific matter of friendship and action-reaction principle. People will react to the way they are being treated (an action). The reaction depends on the action made upon them, either good or bad.

Let’s take a look at a real life example. I attended a workshop and met so many new aspiring netpreneur friends. I was delighted to have the chance in making new network of friends who happen to have the same desire, which is to succeed online. Having the same goal or desire is a good start to build a friendship.

So, there I was, trying to get to know as many people as I could. I introduced myself and have quality chats with them personally. At the end of each conversation, I was also given their data so that we can keep in touch later on. I kept a list for myself and plan to build a mailing list where we can continue discussing about IM. I also took notes on my new friends’ backgrounds, such as current jobs, school, etc. These basic data will be required to get to know them further in the future and, hopefully, build a long lasting friendship in order to support each other. I am honored that they were willing to trust me and give me their data.

At the end of the workshop, an annoying incident happened. One of the participants asked for my list. I hesitated at first, but I eventually gave it to him. Then, to my shock, he literally took a picture of my list using his digicam. I was instantly annoyed, but I didn’t say anything. I had a gut feeling that this particular guy is not to be trusted. From my earlier chat with him, he tried to be “extra-friendly”. Then, I know what his agenda really is.

I know that we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Everyone knows that. But, in initiating a friendship, first impression is important. My first impression of this guy is he’s not trustworthy. I prefer not to make friends to people who already tried to take advantage of me from the initial encounter. Friendship should start from sincere hearts and the will to support each other, not the motive of taking advantage of others. Friendship is a mutual relationship. That’s for sure.

Some of you who read the story I just wrote above may think I was just being selfish. Well, if you think that way, you get the completely wrong idea. The reason why I was so annoyed is that he “steals” the data of people who have TRUSTED me to be their friends. I didn’t collect the data and leave them. I really had quality conversations with each and every one of them.

My purpose is solely to build a friendship towards these people. I felt like I have somehow betrayed them by not being able to refuse in giving the data to a third party. To me, it’s NOT merely a list with a bunch of names, mobile numbers, and e-mail addresses. They are my friends, the REAL people that I had encountered and started to build a friendship with. I think this is the part which that guy doesn’t comprehend. He is the perfect example of those who forgot that friendship is an asset which works mutually. Well, it’s useless now to talk about it. It already happened. I just hope that the data taken by him is not going to be misused for negative purposes.

As you can see, I truly cherish friendship and consider it as real asset. I learned this from my earlier life experience. I’ve been involved in an organization called The Asian Medical Students’ Association for more than four years now. I really found my potential after I joined AMSA. And guess who helped me find my hidden potential? Yup, my FRIENDS!

A friend told me about AMSA, and recommended me to join. After I joined, I immediately knew that this is the right place for me. I became the representative for my university, then became the Regional Chairperson for Indonesia the next year, and the candidate for Overall Chairperson of AMSA International the following year. So many achievements! I met so many inspiring people in AMSA that have helped me to be the person that I am now. I wouldn’t realize that I have that kind of potential if my friend didn’t share the information and ask me to join. The bottom line is I succeed because of the friendship I built. This also applies in ANY field in our lives. So, believe me. I know what I’m talking about.

The conclusion is: view your friendship as an asset. Build a good relationship with everyone. Always be sincere to others and treat people the way you want to be treated.

What are you waiting for? Go & build your asset of friendship!

No comments:

Design | Elque 2007